This page provides tips for using the Xamarin platform and some solutions for some problems you may encounter when using Xamarin or coding in C#.
Where can I download Xamarin?
- You can download Xamarin from xamarin.com/download for free. If you are a Mac user, you will need Xamarin Studio (included in the installation). If you are a Windows user, you can use Xamarin Studio or Visual Studio (included in the installation).
- In the tutorials on this site, we will be using Xamarin Studio (for consistency). If you are developing apps for Android you will also need Xamarin.Android (on Windows or Mac), and for iOS app development you will need Xamarin.iOS (on a Mac). These options are available in the installation and the instructions are provided on the Xamarin website.
- If you are developing apps for iOS, you will also need Xcode installed (which is also free from the Mac App Store).
- The installation is quite large so it may take some time to download and you will need plenty of space.
The Xamarin installation failed. Why?
- The Xamarin installation may fail if you lose your Internet connection. However, the common cause of a failed installation is that you do not have enough storage space left on your computer to download and install the necessary files. Make some room and then try again.
Note: This resource is under construction and constantly growing. Check back soon for more information!